10.6 C
Saturday, June 15, 2024

Myerson’s research aims to investigate the existence of property rights among cohabiting individuals

Navigating the complexities of property rights can be bewildering for unmarried individuals who have separated from their partners.

The extent of your rights regarding the property you reside in will vary depending on factors such as your inclusion on the legal title and the financial agreements made with your partner.

Myerson’s Property Ownership Dispute Team investigates the rights available to individuals in situations where their partner is the owner of the house.

First things first -You do not have an automatic right to half of the property because you live there.

If you had a cohabitation agreement drawn up when you moved into the property, then the terms of that agreement should be looked at.

However, if one of the parties no longer wishes to proceed in accordance with the terms of that agreement, you should seek legal advice as soon as possible.

You do not have to be a legal owner of the property to acquire an interest in the property.

There is a possibility that if there was an agreement with your partner that you would have an interest in the property and contribute financially to the property, you may be entitled to a share of the beneficial interest, and you could have a right to the property.

This is known as constructive trust.

A constructive trust arises where it would not be conscionable for the person who owns the legal title to the property to deny the other of an interest in it, as otherwise they would be unjustly enriched.

A constructive trust is based on the parties’ intentions, and it can either be express and therefore written by way of a declaration of trust or inferred through conduct.

It is for you to show that you and the legal owner intended to share the beneficial interest in the property.

Once it has been established that you intended to share the beneficial interest in the property, it may be that your share in the property has increased over time due to a subsequent event or agreement.

Alternatively, the Court could conclude that there was no initial agreement between you and the legal owner to share a beneficial interest in the property but that this altered over time.

This is referred to as an ambulatory trust. An example of this is when one party may finance an extension or major improvement to the property so that the home is completely different from when it was originally purchased.

If there is a dispute with your partner about the property, you could seek to negotiate a settlement and agree on whether you have an interest in the property, whether the property is to be sold and how any equity in the property is divided.

If you are unable to reach an agreement, you do have the ability to issue court proceedings.

The Trust of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 (ToLATA) gives the Court certain powers to resolve disputes about ownership of land.

A cohabitee whose name is not on the legal title of the property can make a court application under ToLATA for a declaration that they have an interest in the property, an order that the property be sold and an order as to how the net proceeds of the sale are to be divided.

Where two or more people own property jointly as joint tenants or tenants in common, they are known as co-owners.

The Court can make an order declaring the extent of a beneficial interest belonging to a co-owner if there is a dispute surrounding this.

If one party does not wish to sell the property, you can make an application to the Court for an order for sale of the property.

If both owners of the property own it as ‘joint tenants’, and you separate, it would be advisable to sever the joint tenancy and therefore own the property as ‘tenants in common’.

This will protect your share of the property should one of you pass away before the property is sold or transferred.

So, if you are considering purchasing a property with somebody and are not married, it would be advisable to take advice on how the property will be split.

This could be through a declaration of trust or a cohabitation agreement.



Bespoke named Best Place to Work by The Sunday Times

Chorley-based digital marketing agency Bespoke has been named by the...

Sky Bet Bonus Code 50/1 England to Wear White – Get £50 Free Bets

New customers at Sky Bet this June, ahead of...

US Open: McIlroy and Cantlay share lead after round one

Rory McIlroy and Patrick Cantlay hold a share of...

Subscribe to our newsletter

Business Lancashire will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.

Don't miss

Discover Why The Pirate Queen: A Forgotten Legend is the VR Game You Can’t Miss

The Pirate Queen: A Forgotten Legend, starring Lucy Liu,...

Sky Bet Bonus Code 50/1 England to Wear White – Get £50 Free Bets

New customers at Sky Bet this June, ahead of...

Best UK Football Betting Sites For 2024

Football is the UK's biggest and most popular sport....

Childminder to be sentenced for killing baby in Hapton

A childminder is due to be sentenced on Thursday,...

More News

National Association of Professional Sourcing Agents (NAPSA) Shortlisted for Prestigious Service Provider of the Year Award

The National Association of Professional Sourcing Agents (NAPSA) is delighted to announce its nomination for the prestigious Service Provider of the Year Award at...

LandlordBuyer Reports a Startling Increase in Landlord Possession Actions and Repossessions in Recent Study

LandlordBuyer's latest research has uncovered an alarming escalation in landlord possession claims and repossessions for the last quarter of 2023, with totals reaching 23,282...

incspaces launches all-in-one Virtual Office and Desk Space subscription

incspaces, a leading provider of innovative workspace solutions, is proud to announce the launch of Infinity Office™, the UK’s first all-in-one virtual office and...