7.1 C
Lancashire
Thursday, June 13, 2024

Owners in the North West urged to pet proof your Christmas and stay off Santa Paw’s naughty list

Animal lovers in the North West are being encouraged to keep their pets safe this festive season by pet proofing their Christmas, ensuring anything which may be mistaken for a tasty treat is out of paw’s reach. The warning comes as new research from the British Veterinary Association (BVA) reveals 84% of companion animal vets in the North West saw at least one case of toxic ingestion over the 2021 Christmas period.

The festive season brings with it presents, decorations and yummy festive food. But these seemingly innocent pleasures can be deadly if eaten by animals. Chocolate, raisins and other dried fruit – such as that in mince pies or Christmas puddings – onion, garlic, xylitol in sugar-free products and seasonal decorations like mistletoe and holly can all be dangerous, and even fatal, to dogs and cats if eaten.

New Voice of the Veterinary Profession research shows that thousands of vets across the UK treated dogs for toxic ingestion last Christmas season. In the North West, 74% saw cases of chocolate poisoning and 71% saw dogs taken unwell after easing raisins or sultanas. Just over a quarter (26%) reported seeing cases caused by the artificial sweetener Xylitol, 16% saw cases caused by eating onions or garlic and 16% saw cases caused by human medication.

Foreign body ingestion in dogs was also common over the 2021 festive period. In the North Westgifts for humans, including small parts of children’s toys, and consumption of Christmas decorations, gifts for pets and clothes or accessories were the most common causes (all 19%). Ten per cent of vets also flagged wrapping, stones and food/food waste as a cause.

But it’s not just dogs who should be on Santa’s naughty list: more than a quarter of vets (27%) also saw cases of toxic ingestion in cats. In the North West, cats were most likely to have ingested non-food items such as seasonal plants like holly or mistletoe (reported by 16% of vets) or antifreeze (six per cent). Thirteen per cent of companion animal vets saw foreign body ingestion in cats over the 2021 festive period across the UK. In the North West six per cent of vets saw cases of foreign body ingestion caused by Christmas decorations and three per cent by clothing or accessories.

British Veterinary Association President Malcolm Morley said: “Christmas can be the most wonderful time of the year but not if you end up with a poorly pet. Being vigilant and taking a few key precautions is all that is needed to keep your pets happy and healthy over the festive period.

“Keep all edible items, decorations and anything else a pet may mistake for a tasty treat out of their reach to help prevent avoidable emergency visits to the vet. We also advise keeping pets to their normal diets and avoiding feeding them any human food. If you are concerned your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have, do contact your vet as soon as possible.”

Top tips for keeping Christmas hazard-free for pets

  1. Protect your pet from poisons: A range of festive treats and traditions, such as chocolate in advent calendars and sweets, raisins, xylitol (found in sugar-free treats), nuts, grapes, liquorice, poinsettia, holly and mistletoe are toxic to cats and dogs.
  2. Keep decorations out of reach: Ribbons, wrapping paper, baubles, tinsel and tree lights can seem like appealing playthings to cats and dogs but can be very dangerous if broken, chewed or swallowed. Batteries for Christmas gifts also need to be kept safe as, if ingested, they may cause severe chemical burns to the mouth, throat and stomach.
  3. Forget festive food for pets: We all enjoy a richer diet over Christmas, but fatty foods and Christmas dinners shouldn’t be shared with the animals of the household. They can trigger sickness and diarrhoea or other conditions from gastroenteritis to pancreatitis, so try to stick to your pet’s regular diet and routine. Too many treats can also lead to pet obesity.
  4. Keep away the bones: Cooked bones, including turkey bones, should not be given to pets as they can splinter and puncture the digestive tract.
  5. Know where to go: Even with all the care in the world, animal accidents and emergencies can still happen. Make sure you’re prepared by checking your vet’s emergency cover provision and holiday opening hours or, if you are away from home, use the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons’ Find a Vet facility.

For more information on pets and poisons, download Animal Welfare Foundation’s free Pets and Poisons leaflet.

spot_imgspot_img

Latest

Trams return to Blackpool’s train station for the first time in 60 years

Passenger trams have linked up with Blackpool’s main train...

Paris Olympics: Nadal and Alcaraz to pair up for doubles

Spanish duo Rafael Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz will pair...

Benefits of a fire alarm system

Whether for your business or at home, having a...

Fearless fundraisers needed to take the heat for Rainbow Hub

Do you and your work colleagues have what it...
spot_img

Subscribe to our newsletter

Business Lancashire will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.

Don't miss

Fearless fundraisers needed to take the heat for Rainbow Hub

Do you and your work colleagues have what it...

Chief executive to leave Lancashire County Council

The chief executive at Lancashire County Council is moving...

Best Betting Sites UK for June 2024

It isn't an understatement when we say that the...

More News

Man charged with manslaughter of Fleetwood woman

A man has been charged in relation to the death of Kiena Dawes.   Kiena (pictured) was found deceased by British Transport Police on the...

Lancashire audiologists launches specialist service to tackle growing condition

A local chain of audiologists and opticians has launched a specialist tinnitus service, to help tackle the growth of the condition in recent years. Bayfields...

Tribute paid to “caring” man who died in Rossendale collision

A family has paid tribute to a ‘kind and caring’ man who died in a road traffic collision in Rossendale.  Michael McTaggart (20) from Rossendale,...